Monday, July 29, 2013

Building Community and the Fifth Element


            I am writing this post on about four hours of sleep, plane sleep. I boarded my flight out of Seattle-Tacoma International Airport at about 11 p.m., and happily fell into a good hard sleep within about 15 minutes. I was jolted awake when the plane wheels thudded the ground in Detroit, some four and a half hours later. Still, a hard sleep of a few hours is better than no sleep. My husband texted me as the connecting flight landed in Albany to say that he was just leaving. That has given me an hour in Albany to collect my thoughts before heading up to Lake Placid to volunteer for the Ironman.

            I was thinking about what kind of sense to make of Boogie Up the Block, the big Seattle community hip-hop festival that capped my week of walking, wondering, and doing other kinds of ethnographic research in the city. The big event was not so big after all, and many of the female artists whom I had hoped to catch up with were not present. It was a beautiful sunny day, and a pleasure to be outdoors. But I wasn't feeling particularly moved by the music on stage, or by the break-dancing occurring in sporadic ciphers on the streets. I found myself feeling a little lost: It took a lot of time and money to get here. Was it a waste of time?

            Considering this question led me to consider a variety of factors: work and other community based obligations that kept the b-girls I had hoped to see away from the event; my own work and prior commitment to volunteer at the Lake Placid Ironman that prevented me from staying in Seattle an additional day to attend their signature event -- an all women's break-dancing battle -- organized by Bean, one of my initial interviewees; and the work of parenting and making a living that had made it challenging for my potential co-author for the book I hope to write to meet up. It also took me back to an all women's reading and hip-hop event I had created in 2010 as part of an Individual Artist's Grant I had received from the Seattle Mayor's Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs. I poured a lot of energy into creating the event; worked closely with emcee Beloved1 and deejay DJ B-Girl (Mia Beardsley) to organize a plan; and negotiated dates and times with about nine different artists in order to come up with a day that would work for everyone. I created an eye-catching poster and flyer, promoted the event via Facebook, stapled my flyers all over central Seattle, wrote a press release that the Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs distributed to media, and even wrote a piece for public media about the women I had interviewed who would perform. The event drew about 30 people, most of who were the performers, two videographers I had hired, and our friends and family members. All the work. Thirty people. Somehow, it still felt like a success.

            This made me think about how hip-hop works out what it calls the Fifth Element in a community setting.

            To clarify some language, the culture of hip-hop has been defined in terms of components: break-dancing (or, more accurately, within hip-hop circles, b-boying and b-girling), emceeing (also known as rapping, either inaccurately or accurately, depending on who you talk to), deejaying, graffiti, and the Fifth Element of knowledge. The Fifth Element is a term coined by Afrika Bambaataa, founder of the Universal Zulu Nation. He articulated it as a process of self-development and individual transformation. The Fifth Element infuses all of the other elements -- which are seen as more skill-based -- and it also stands apart as the work from which a philosophy of hip-hop might emerge.

            For the past three years, much of my work with hip-hop has been academic in nature. I have been in dialogue with hip-hop scholars and practitioners at conferences such as the Words Beats & Life teach-in earlier this month in Washington DC. I have read books and articles that have emerged out of hip-hop studies, and I have contributed to the field with academic writings of my own. One of the most fulfilling endeavors to date has been participating in a committee organized by Martha Diaz of the Hip-Hop Education Center at New York University to create a set of defining terms for hip-hop education in college and K-12 curricula. These dialogues have been heavy on word power, verbal exchange, and thought. They are not the types of conversations that might occur easily in a community setting.

            Which led me to wonder: How was the Fifth Element present at Boogie Up the Block? In many ways, it had to be present, if for no other reason than the fact that its main organizer was 206 Zulu, the Seattle branch of Bambaataa's brainchild, the Universal Zulu Nation.

            Considering that question reshaped my understanding of the event considerably.

            On what I'll call an umbrella level, the Fifth Element was present in the array of participants. I spoke during the first two hours of the event with a 206 Zulu member who worked with the organization's security as well as with an activist seeking citizen input on alternatives to juvenile detention. I also reconnected with a b-boy who serves as a pastor and owns a coffeeshop in my former Central District neighborhood, located at 25th and Union.  He remembered me as the woman who "did the project on Seattle b-girls" and was pleased when I told him that I was still working on it. He also told me about some of his work as a volunteer with a project known as the Seattle Green Plate, which had turned a corner plot of vacant land at the busy Union Street and Martin Luther King Way intersection into a garden that provided produce to the homeless and educational outreach to schoolchildren. I also toured a community P-Patch across the street from 206 Zulu's headquarters at Washington Hall, noting how the fence surrounding this community garden was like a teaching museum. It displayed placards and images of community history, mentors to future musicians such as Quincy Jones, and traced the legacy of Seattle's style of small-ensemble jazz to racism, segregationist practices, and the relatively small size of the African American community relative to other towns where a "big band" style became the norm.

            As I spoke with community workers and toured the garden, other dialogues and interactions were taking place around me. We might see these interchanges as expressions of the Fifth Element as each individual sought new knowledge for their own growth. These dialogues took place against a backdrop that a history of cultural form and artistic expression has come to define as hip-hop: deejays and emcees on an outdoor stage on one side of Washington Hall, a mobile stage with skateboarding ramp and cardboard duct-taped together to create a dance space on the street to the opposite side. Amid bicycles, detouring cars, and pedestrians, children and young adults formed ciphers. Some of the dancing was like mine – on the side of the cipher, legs and hips bopping but not much else in the way of body movement. Other dancers were down on the ground, following the traditional break-dance routine of top-rocking, power and finish, and practicing the call and response logic of the cipher to invite others in.

            There wasn’t a whole lot of cohesion, but there was a sense of understanding and of respect that everyone was at the event to build community and to engage in some way or the other with the Fifth Element, to learn.

            In the middle of festival lay one final – and perhaps the most powerful – element: an altar for Trayvon Martin, the African American teenager in Florida who was killed by the white security guard, George Zimmerman. The security guard, of course, was acquitted by a jury whose rationale for the decision was grounded in a racially coded understanding of right and wrong. Zimmerman, according to one juror, was only guilty of making a bad judgment in pulling his trigger. The fact that an African American boy was killed as a result of that “bad judgment” offers a reminder of how the real lives of the peoples of the communities that hip-hop strives to uplift continue to bear ongoing societal assaults.

No comments:

Post a Comment